How Green is our Valley?February 16, 2016 5:02 am Uncategorized
We are delighted to have received notice from Groundwork UK which is administering Tesco’s Bags of Helpscheme, that we are in the running for an award towards crucial work in the recreation ground. Along with two other worthy projects in Tynedale, our project, titled ‘How Green is our Valley?’, will be recruiting customer votes from 27th February until 6th March in the Hexham Tesco store, and by the end of the voting we shall see whether we will be awarded £8,000, £10,000 or £12,000.
Our project at a minimum involves:
- Drainage installation to dry out the boggy bits above the children’s play areas
- Replanting significant trees to replace those vandalised some years ago
- Constructing a viewing site with full disabled access overlooking the Dene
- Laying a tarmac path to complete access to the viewing site from the park’s path network
If voters like our project, further enhancements would include
- Additional park benches and litter bins at the viewing site
- CCTV cameras overlooking the site, to forestall casual vandalism
- Refreshment of the wood chippings in the children’s play areas
We hope that with these improvements to our lovely park, we will be able to apply for a Green Flag award, demonstrating good compliance with national standards in public park administration. We are very grateful to Tesco Bags of Help for the opportunity to work towards improving our park.
Tesco has teamed up with Groundwork to launch its Bags of Help initiative in hundreds of regions across England and Wales. The scheme will see three community groups and projects in each of these regions awarded grants of £12,000, £10,000 and £8,000 – all raised from the 5p bag charge.
Bags of Help offers community groups and projects in each of Tesco’s 390 regions across the UK a share of revenue generated from the five pence charge levied on single-use carrier bags. The public will now vote in store from 27 February until 6 March on who should receive the £12,000, £10,000 and £8,000 awards.